An electric overload occurs when too much current passes through electric wires. The wires heat and can melt, with the risk of starting a fire.
The solution? Avoid plugging several power-hungry items of equipment into the same line.
Putting too much pressure on a water hose can make it burst. The principle is similar for electric wires: if too great a current flow is required by several items of equipment connected to the same line, this produces overload.
Avoid therefore as far as possible:
If you really have to connect several items of equipment to the same electric line, you can:
Your electrical installation is fitted with circuit-breakers to protect you against the risks from overloads. A circuit-breaker is a small item located at the start of every electric line. It can detect an abnormally intense current flow and cut the current in the line to prevent overheating.
Circuit-breakers are calibrated based on the diameter of the wires they are protecting. The thicker the wires (in a house: 1.5 mm2, 2.5 mm2, 4 mm2 and 6 mm2 section), the more they allow intense current through.
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay informed about energyfacts.